Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Half Blood Half Betrayed

A couple of months ago I received some horrific news. This news took me completely off guard and I was irate for days afterwords. In fact the mere mention of this topic escalated into hour long conversations on the topic. This subject is the topic of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince's release date not being in November but switching to July of next year. This just floored me and i didn't know how to take it. I felt betrayed and let down. I had already started to formulated plans for the party was going to be like and even was going to center my whole Halloween yard decorations completely on Harry Potter. I read the book again to get decoration ideas for the yard. I was so excited and was even going to go see movies that contained the trailer merely on the fact that they contained the trailer. Then Warner Brothers just up and pulled it from it's slot with some bogus idea that they will make more money by switching the movies release date in November to July. It's just ridiculous. They then replaced Harry Potter with the Twilight movie. I have never read the Twilight books so I can't really judge what there target audience is but I'm pretty sure it is geared towards young teenage girls or at least girls in general. So to switch from a show that is geared towards an audience that contains not only adults and children but both girls and boys to a show that is geared towards a girl based audience doesn't seem to me to be a way to stuff your pocketbooks. You are switching from a family movie and switching to a teen romance. The numbers don't add up in my head.

The truth is this. They jerked us around. They set a release date and made trailers and sent out the information in all the magazines and then when we Potter maniacs thought all was well they came in like a heartless mistress and ripped our hearts out of chest. But they didn't stop there. Instead of coming up with some amazing lie that we could actually believe they told us the truth. And that hurts. Because it was the most unexpected thing we could ever get from Hollywood. For years they have been telling us stories and feeding us lines and for the first time they show us how green there truly are. We all new this secretly. Another things is I afraid that when I finally sit down in the seat on opening night of Harry Potter. I will be disappointed. I was disappointed once when it came to Harry Potter movies and have since that time never really trusted again. This was in the case of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban which is by far my favorite of all the books. I really had a hard time with the movie due to the fact that they left a lot unexplained and that troubled me. I have a feeling that this might happen with this movie because some of the vital Tom Riddle memories will not be making an appearance in the movie. They have also added a Death Eater attack on the Burrow scene which doesn't happen until the last book. I just didn't want to wait anymore. There really hasn't been many choices when it comes to movies as of late. And I am saddened by the fact that if all had stayed as planned last Friday I would have been in a theatre watching the next installment of the Harry Potter movie. I may not go the first night or even the first week when the Half Blood Prince comes out and that is a big deal to me. Warner Brother's let me down and they'll have a hard time regaining my trust.









Custom Countdowns & MySpace Layouts


2 comments:

Shannon said...

Hear hear! I agree. And this book is actually my favorite, so I was excited to see how they portrayed it.
I also think another reason why they put it off could be because this is the second to the last movie and once they release the very last movie, Harry Potter will be over and done with. Our society forgets the latest hype so quickly that once the last movie is over there will be nothing left to market. Sadly, the Harry Potter craze will be over (but not in your heart Jeff, of course).

Jeff said...

I will be a sad day when the hype is gone but alas something else is bound to replace it. I'm sure I will move on to something else that is just as magical.