Monday, November 24, 2008

55 days of Christmas





I turned on the television tonight and was not at all surprised to find that ABC Family was playing a Christmas show. Apparently they have a countdown to 25 days of Christmas. Why is there a countdown any way? I mean if there going to show Christmas shows then it would mean to me that it's Christmas time. so instead of a countdown why not make it 55 days of Christmas? You can never have to much of a good thing and there isn't anything special about November so why not just extend the most magical, joyous, wonderful, and yuletidey time of the year. Oh wait there is something and it's called Thanksgiving. You know that holiday that is supposed to venerate the harvest festival of the Pilgrims at Plymouth Plantation. That wonderful spread of delectable grub all centered around a beautiful roasted turkey.

I find it very hard to find decorations for this special time of year called Thanksgiving. Where are the cardboard cutouts of pilgrims and cornucopias to plaster upon your windows and walls as well as grace your table? What happened to the Thanksgiving specials and movies? I for one would love to see Garfield's Thanksgiving Dinner or Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. ABC Family won't be showing A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving but will be showing A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy, Come Home. Why not Charlie Brown Thanksgiving? There is also some great movies like Plains Trains and Automobiles and Home for the Holidays that deal with Thanksgiving. And many more that have Thanksgiving scenes. I'm sure they will show these on the day of Thanksgiving but when did it become Thanksgiving Day and not Thanksgiving time. What happened to the elementary schools plays with kids dressed up in shopping bag Indian vests and construction paper pilgrim hats singing songs like five little turkeys and the Mayflower song.
I just would like to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving which is a pretty cool holiday if you think about it. It's a time to be thankful for the bounty that we have and be grateful for all the blessings and freedoms that we are granted. Yes, it could be considered just an excuse to shovel and gorge us on tasty treats until we spue. But Christmas could be considered just a commericalized holiday or an excuse for the retailers to finally get their profits back into the black. It all comes down to the our own personal feelings about the purpose of holidays and the spirit of these events. Thanksgiving isn't only about the food. It's about being content with the fact that we truly do have so much to be grateful for. We live ina country that yes has flaws and our leaders do make mistakes but we have liberties and rights that few people have and many think aren't avaliable to them. It's not that I am opposed to Christmas movies or the Christmas season. I love them. Bring them on when the appointed hour has arrived and I will chow down on some peppermints and homemade cookie cutouts. It's more about let's not be so caught up with Christmas that we overlook one great celebration that occur in the month of November. Why is that we need to be so worried about Christmas that it extends into other holidays other than December? Why do we have to make it so complicated that in order to get everything done we have to start in November or for some even in October? Let's just enjoy the things that are in the present and not worry so much about the future that we fail to see what's staring us in the face is a pretty good time. My friends, Let's watch Thanksgiving specials and make it so that November is about Thanksgiving and Fall activities and not about getting ready for the December.

2 comments:

sarah jane said...

Agreed. I have yet to see any of my nephews or nieces send me invitations to elementary school plays. Come to think of it, do they even do plays anymore? You don't really hear about it much. I really do miss Thanksgiving time, rather than day. I was surprised/annoyed that they started playing Christmas carols on Nov.1, how about Dec. 1? I do like Thanksgiving. Let's go to Plymouth Plantation, and you can have all of the Thanksgiving cheer you would ever want. Love you, miss you. Skip work tomorrow and get down here.

Randi Jo said...

Well I send my congrats! to you both. I will tell you this about Twilight. Don't go in expecting great things. I have read and listened to the books a lot and I think they could have done better but all in all I would go see it again. I love the book(s) so much better than the movie. I do recommened seeing it though. As you can see I am already counting down for Harry Potter.